Our master closet is not a normal closet, people. Frankly, in an old Seattle 1924 house, we are very lucky to have any closet space at all. And we appreciate that. But all of our bedroom closets are built into the eaves which means they are a weird shape. Coming up with organization and storage solutions for our sloped ceiling closet was a real challenge. But here is what we’ve got going so far thanks to building in a few pieces of Ikea storage.
In setting up the closet, our goals were to maximize storage, keep the window uncovered (that was a debate), and to orient the room so we could stand upright instead of picking out our clothes on our knees. I decided to install off-season storage in the shortest part of the room and to put our clothes on hanging on rods in front of that storage (not yet done, as you can see in the pic, above). In between the hanging rods, I added a taller Ikea bookcase for some drawers and shelving. To give you a little orientation, this is the shape of the closet as if you were standing in the doorway.
And here’s an overhead view which shows the footprint of the space but everything in gray is under the sloped portion of the roof:
Such little headroom for regular height people! But I have finally convinced myself that this is charming, rather than annoying. For our storage, first I grabbed these two Besta units from Ikea. The bookcases weren’t quite as deep as I wanted them to be, so I pulled them a little bit away from the wall and then added a counter on top with some 1/2″ mdf cut to size.
To hold up the counter, I created a little ledger board on the back wall (with scrap wood and nails) and also added some supports in between the two bookcases (scrap 2x4s, glue and nails).
You’ll note in those pics that I totally cheated on my beadboard install – I didn’t have it go all the way to the floor because I knew it would be covered.
Then I put the taller bookcase in the middle (this Ikea Besta unit), in front of the counter. It was a little too tall so I cut off the side and back pieces with my miter saw and then reattached the base with glue and my nail gun.
Then I trimmed everything with some 1x2s I had on hand. I wanted it to look really built-in instead of like I threw some Ikea storage into the closet. I think the key to making Ikea furniture look built-in is trim and caulk (I did it for another piece in our entry, too, which you can see here).
Finally after caulking and painting, here’s how it looks,
I’ve still got to do things like install the clothes rods, the shelves, and the drawers, and then move in! Oh, and share what’s happening with those ridiculous floors. I hope to have the full reveal next week…